#washday

I attract a lot of mom's to my salon who need help with the daughter's hair. A lot of girls have textures that are totally different from their mom's hair.

I had a client come in on Saturday who was 12 years old. She had a her hair in a ponytail so I asked her to take down her hair so we can get started with our consultation. When she took down her hair, the back was completed matted and loc'd. If you didn't know, curly hair loc's very quickly! This hair probably hadn't been touched or detangled in 3-4 weeks.

As a stylist, this used to make me upset. My first thought would be "why would a mother let their child's hair get so tangled?" As I meet more people I am realizing that this is real problem. A lot of mom's truly don't know how to de-tangle and care for their daughter's hair.

A huge misconception is that you need to "comb out" your hair everyday. Curly hair only needs to be detangled when its wet with conditioner. This may mean you need to detangle more than once a week though. It's okay to have wet hair!

This scenario happened on Saturday, my busiest day! Usually, I have to be the bearer of bad news and let them know that I don't even have time to tackle a project like this. I felt for this mom though and wanted to help her. It took me about an hour to remove the locs. It also worked out that I had another
mom come in who has been bringing her daughter 4 times a year for the past year. When she brought her daughter in the first time, it was also so tangled that it had loc'd up. She was able to share with the other mom that it DOES get easier. She also empowered her to allow her daughter to really start taking care of her own hair. Everyone won! I'm thankful for this interaction and I hope I was able to help both client and mom!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.